Looking for some wellness tips that you can fit into your hectic schedule? Health and wellness can be quickly overlooked in the face of looming deadlines and stresses, with many of us sadly overlooking our day-to-day wellbeing.
The Taymouth Marina team have put these 8 wellness tips together to help to calm your mind and relax your body – whether that’s by a soothing spa experience or simply taking some time out for yourself.
1. Take a break from technology
It’s so common these days for people to have their phone glued to their hand. While mobile phones and tablets have made life so much easier for a lot of people, they have also brought with them their own troubles.
Start out small – power down before bed with an hour-long technology ban and make a mental note of activities you could be doing instead of reaching for your phone, such as going for a walk, reading a chapter of your book or even following a quick yoga session on YouTube.
We guarantee you’ll feel more satisfied with these small activities rather than hours of endless scrolling.
2. Try out meditation
It can be easy to write off meditation as yet another passingwellness trend, but in reality, it has been practiced by many cultures for thousands of years. With the rise in popularity of apps such as Headspace, meditation has never been more accessible.
Meditation can be as simple as taking the time to focus on your breathing, and can easily slot into a busy schedule. It is brilliant for winding down before bed, with some people even reporting that it helps with insomnia (PubMed).
3. Make a move
Being more active can sometimes seem like a bit of a chore, but motivating yourself to move, even if only a little per day, can do wonders for your wellbeing.
You don’t have to run a marathon to feel the benefits – even a half hour stroll at lunchtime is enough to stretch your muscles and release feel-good endorphins.
If you’re after something a bit more interesting, watersports such as kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding offer a peaceful setting while raising your heart rate.
4. Pay attention to your diet
When it comes to diet, balance is key to promoting wellness. Restrictive diets can set you up to fail, while overindulging in rich foods will leave you regretting it soon after.
To find a happy medium, the 80/20 rule is a great place to start – aim for 80% of your meals to be healthy, while the other 20% you can choose to indulge in your favourite treats. Lifestyle changes are more important than short-term diets for a healthy and happy life.
5. Treat yourself with a natural spa day
When you’re really feeling stressed, nothing can replace the glorious sense of harnessing nature’s therapeutic properties. A natural spa day, where you can indulge in hydrotherapy and heat treatments that refresh and reenergise, can do you a world of good. Taymouth Marina is home to Scotland’s natural spa with panoramic views of Loch Tay.
Try drinking in the views from our wood-fired BubbleBox hot tub, filled with fresh loch-sourced water, or switching off inside our white aspen-lined HotBox sauna. For a natural boost, plunge directly into the loch from our purpose-built slide.
6. Embrace nature
This is one of the easiest ways to give your wellness a little boost – simply stepping outside can do wonders for your mood. As most of us now spend our lives indoors and in urban areas, taking some time out with nature has become increasingly rare.
Do your research – where’s the nearest woodland walk you can access on the weekend? What’s the closest park to your workplace? We’re usually never far away from natural spaces, it sometimes just takes some effort to find them!
7. Be realistic about your to-do list
If you have a never-ending to do list, it can often seem that trying to plough through it is the only option. However, this method might be doing you more harm than good, lowering the quality of your work and making you even more stressed as you rush to complete tasks.
Single out your three to five most important tasks for the day and aim to achieve them, starting out with the ones you’ve been putting off for a while – they will not be as bad as they seem once you make a start!
8. Reflect and grow
Focusing on your wellness is a brilliant opportunity for reflection and personal growth. All of the wellness tips above offer the chance for you to make a positive impact on your life and help to form lifelong habits that will change your days for the better.
Cataloguing your thoughts at the end of the day in a journal is a great way to think about what you’re thankful for in life and to practice being more appreciative of what you already have.